Sunday, April 27, 2014

Toothpicks..who knew?

I wrote a post a few weeks ago and mentioned my kitchen cupboard that I was going to fix.  Well literally the next day it fell off.  This cupboard is our treat cupboard, so as I was innocently reaching for some Red Vines the cupboard basically slapped my hand away..hmmm.   It sat open like that for a week.  I had to fix it though because my kids would ask me a million times throughout the day if they could have one of their treats-because of the constant reminder starring at them.  Plus I had eaten all my good stuff (Red Vines, Junior Mints) and because of the reminder every time I walked into the kitchen I started to eye the Fun Dips- which I don't even like- I decided it had to get done.


Treat cupboard- although all the stuff I like has been eaten....

I investigated and found that the holes were stripped of any threading... now how to fix that??


I went to Home Depot and presented my problem to an employee.  I was thinking there was some kind of filler I'd need, then re-drill a hole.  Turns out the person I asked at Home Depot is a DIYer.  He suggested I take some toothpicks and break them up into tiny pieces, then shove them into the hole. 

The toothpicks acted as a filler and when I screwed the screw back in it created threads and the screws stuck!  !  I didn't have to buy anything to fix this project (although I did buy a putty knife for an art project I am going to work on..coming soon).  How awesome is that??!!

If you look closely you can see my toothpicks shoved into the top hole.

Yea- something else marked off my list.  If you will notice my cupboard is organized because even though I haven't been great at blogging -I've been eating my way through my treats to clean it out- but I have also been a busy bee with my spring cleaning list. 


Disclaimer about the toothpick method, can't guarantee how long it will work for.  I'll keep you posted if I get the need for some sugar and my cupboard falls off as I go for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment