Monday, June 2, 2014

Turning 40

Well folks I did it, I turned 40 (whether I liked it or not).  I swear the wrinkles around my eyes seemed to have tripled on my birthday..how nice.  This is a doll some of my friends gave to me to welcome me into the new decade of my life.



 I had the goal to do a pull-up by the time I was 40.  It didn't happen.  I have been training and working out to get there, but my trainer did remind me that my time frame was too short (seeing as I waited until 6 weeks before my birthday to really start training).  I have a plan and will continue working on it throughout the summer and maybe I'll be able to do a pull-up by then.  If not I better have some nice guns to show for all this hard work. : ) 

On my actual birthday I had some time by myself.  My husband was traveling in South America, kids were in school- so I took myself to breakfast, read a book and took time to think about being 40- not a pity party at all...   I was proud of myself for not crying because I swear it was just yesterday I was in college and can't believe I am the big 4-0.  Besides trying to believe I am younger than I actually am I thought about what this past decade has meant to me.  It was in my 30s that I:

  • Had 2 of our 3 kids
  • Moved 2 different times (Folsom and Minnesota) and met some of my best friends for life.
  •  I got my degree to be a Medical Assistant.
  •  I ran my first 10K.
  •  I played soccer for the first time (LOVED IT)
  • Traveled a lot (we love traveling).
  • Saw a bunch of "firsts" for my kids.
  • Got our first family pet- Willis! Well I guess he wasn't the first, we had a hermit grab and a few fish before his arrival.
Some of the hardest times of my life happened in my 30s.  I can't figure out how to articulate how much my heart hurt during these times, but maybe I don't need to except to say that I have learned from this time.  One of the most important lessons I have learned is how important it is pick up and try to more forward every day no matter what has happened to you in life.   Some days are good and others just suck.  It's okay to have days that sucks.  Have the day, then keep going.  I also believe we feel pain sometimes (whether physical or emotional) to help us to slow down in life and be present for ourselves and those around us.  Forcing us to recognize the great things we have in life and directing our focus to what is most important.

I know I will continue to have life lessons and that great things and hard things will happen in my 40s.   Cheers to being 40, happy, healthy and blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Lonni,
    I'm turning 40 on Sunday and am contemplating the big transition that is probably not that big of a deal...it is weirding me out though. Getting old is hard. I am loving reading your blog...didn't know you had one so its fun catching up! I happened to look on FB today and saw a link to it. Yay for you with the proactiveness...I am sucking at the homemaker aspect of life these days. Its all about balance...I think I used to have a blog about living a balanced life...yeah right! Glad that I got to share a part of your 30s with you! Happy belated birthday! -Lana

    ReplyDelete