Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Momma Day

In our house we have "Saturday chores".  We have six jobs that the kids split up between each other. A few Saturdays ago my 9 year old son was complaining about how much work it was- seriously it would take 30, 45 min tops to finish their jobs if there was less complaining and more working.  I am a serious task master!  After much thought (and a lot of grumbling) he says to me, "you just want us to do jobs so you don't have to do anything"....  ahhhh yes, he found me out.  Those six little jobs are all that needs to be done around our house. 

I thought it over and that comment earned him a Momma Day.  A day where he gets to follow me around and help do all the jobs and things that I do in a day. I chose yesterday to be that day, of course it was a laundry day : ).  
 
His day entailed doing laundry, putting clothes in the washer, dryer and even had to fold them.   He helped clean the kitchen, pick up, dust, I even had him get me a drink just as he was sitting down to eat... if I had a nickel for every time that happens to me.  I also made sure he understood how many times I start something and get interrupted by kids, a dog, husband or other things.  
 
 

 I have to say my son was pretty good about the whole thing, didn't complain really at all- even when he had to do some multitasking.  I was hoping to get some profound thoughts or words from him at the end of the day but he didn't have much to say .  When I fired a bunch of open ended questions at him he requested that I stick to asking questions that require a yes or no response. So YES, he says mom does a lot.  YES he was wrong in what he said.  NO he will never say it again.  Fingers crossed, that YES he has learned a lesson!  I might add that on the most part YES it was helpful to me (bonus!).
 
PS- I don't want to give you the wrong impression, I am not this overly productive person.  Of course I love to sneak in a good show/s to watch, some crafts to do, a trip to my favorite store- Hobby Lobby, a book to read or the best take a good nap (or as my husband said when I told him about the Momma Day "oh so you're going to make him nap for 2 hours", hardeeharhar).

No comments:

Post a Comment