Thursday, May 14, 2015

Throw it back....

Throw back Thursday!  I am going to try this, hopefully I am somewhat consistent (as in monthly).  I was thinking it would be fun to recap some of my childhood memories (I might just throw in some stuff from when my kids were itty bitty too).  It is very self serving but I thought it would be good to have these memories written down somewhere and why not entertain the masses (as in all 3 of you) while I am at it.

I'll start with this picture I just shared on Facebook this last week (because my kids told me I look like Will Ferrell from Elf...)


This is me in second grade.  My mom would take us to some lady from our church to get our perms, it was that or the taped hair and scissors hair cut.... clearly a perm was the way to go.  Plus Annie the movie was just released and I was going to look just like her, sans the red hair.  My sister Lisa (a red head) was also getting a perm at the same time....how lucky was she, red hair + perm = Annie look alike!  Although she wasn't in second grade, she was in 6th grade and WASN'T going for that look.   Results:  me sitting model style laying across our couch to show off my hair and my sister, madly combing out her hair over and over after washing it a bunch of times.  To this day I don't understand why she didn't want to look like Annie : )  I don't have any pictures of Lisa with her hair...my guess they were never taken or all destroyed.

I was so proud and nervous to go to school the next day- afraid the kids would make fun of my hair that I LOVED.  I remember having a response in my back pocket if anyone said anything to me about it-  like if Steve York said anything I'd remind him his mom had curly hair too ...BABAM, take that!  That was all I had....   I actually don't remember if anyone said anything, I guess if they did it didn't bother me enough to make it a memory... or it traumatized me so I have blocked it out...either way I LOVED my perm!

No comments:

Post a Comment