Thursday, June 4, 2015

Throwing it back... house growing up!

This is the only picture I have of our house growing up.  A four bedroom, two bath home on Harwood Road in San Jose California.  Can you imagine 8 people lived in this house for over 20 years, plus the foreign exchange students, the foster kids my parents took in and the babysitting kids my mom watched for years... oh my gosh!  (I sometimes wonder if they were certifiable)   The memories this house holds for the Sabin clan...
  • Laughs.
  • Sunday dinner with the nice green China.
  • Listening to a book on record while sitting on the plaid,scratchy couch.
  • Arguments.
  • Fighting over cleaning our rooms. 
  • Maxi and mini jobs.
  • Many pets (dogs, rabbits, fish, turtle). 
  • Teasing.
  • Friends, relatives coming and going .
  • Sock bin (I add this because we had a huge hamper full of socks that were missing their pair).
  • The Sunday we got robbed while at church.
  • Roller skating down the hill by our house.
  • Playing pickle in the backyard.
So much more and probably fairly similar to most homes.

The physical aspects of the house (remember it was built in the 70s)-
  • Orange carpet,  (as in burnt orange).
  • Avocado green refrigerator 
  • Garage that we never once parked cars in (too jammed pack full of stuff
  • Fruit trees lining our backyard fence (apricot and cherry trees that were fabulous- I still get flash backs when I  eat a juicy apricot) 
  • The loose fence board that we could open and sneak into the condo complex behind our house.
  • A shed that always smelt moldy and like old camping gear 
  • Orange tree and avocado tree that we never ate the fruit of (oranges too sour and the avocados were always rock hard)
  • Piano with keys that were written on
  • Telephone with the extra long cord (our dad use to yell at us if we let it knot up too bad)
  • Our brick fire place with a hearth-aka stage

 Much more but I save the best for last...drum roll please.
A garage door that was painted canary yellow.  Yes I said it, canary yellow and yes ONLY the garage door. Picture our lovely tan and dark brown home, with a ... canary yellow garage door.
am a visual person and I altered this picture so you could get a feel for the canary yellow
How did this happen?  Well a color blind man picked out the paint and didn't see a need to change it once the mistake was pointed out to him.  My poor mom, although she didn't rush out and have it repainted.  It stayed that way until my sister who was in High School bought the correct color with her own money and painted the garage door herself.  I was only in elementary school, but it did get old having people ask why we had a bright yellow garage door.   

Weird though I have a slight obsession with the color yellow- I love it and have accents of it all throughout my house- wonder if this had anything to do with it...   

No comments:

Post a Comment