Saturday, August 29, 2015

My BBC Obsession

I have been so busy lately.. you know vacation is just so tiring- hehe.  It's actually the recovery from vacation that is tiring.  Every time I think of blogging I start, but never finish a post. Recently I found a blog post with awesome suggestions on  Dramas to watch on Netflix - click here to see that list.

 I am always looking for good shows to watch and realized all the shows I've been watching recently seem to be from the BBC .   I thought I'd share a few of these with you, who doesn't like a good BBC detective show.

My commentary on these in general is I like that most of the actors aren't perfect looking, they look like normal everyday people.  It does drive me a little nuts because in all of the detective shows none of them have guns, yet they are in situations where they clearly need them... makes me a little anxious.  I wonder how they can do it in real life without guns.... 

So here is a list of the top 5 detective BBC shows plus a BBC sitcom I have recently watched:


Luther- 3 Seasons on Netflix
A dedicated urban detective dealing with criminals as well as his home life.  I really liked this show, intense and it doesn't hurt that John Luther is a hottie.  More about it here


Broadchurch 1 Season on Netflix
Detectives trying to solve a murder in a small town.  A lot of different suspects.  I believe this was made into a US version but only has one season.  The British version has 2 seasons (and a 3rd coming out) but currently only 1 available on Netflix.  You can buy season 2 on Amazon.  I love this show- great character development as different things unwind in the small town.





Vexed- 2 Seasons on Netflix
Two detectives working together but totally different personalities- he is a slacker and obnoxious, she is driven and professional.  Funny and a bit irreverent- I liked season 1 but didn't get into season 2


White Chapel- Amazon
I am sad that Amazon isn't offering this to Prime members anymore (you can buy the seasons on Amazon), a really good series about a group of detectives solving different murders, season 1 is about a Jack the Ripper copy cat killer.

Happy Valley 1 Season on Netflix (working on season 2-thankfully!)
About a woman who is a police sergeant pursuing the man who assaulted her late daughter.    This is intense, has some language, but good.  


Delivery Man 1 Season on Netflix
This is not a detective show, sitcom, but fits into my current BBC obsession.  About a male police officer turned midwife... funny with great dialogue and characters.  I hope they make more seasons, I really liked the humor.



I just put the following BBC shows on my watch list:
A Young Doctor's Notebook
Wallander
An Honorable Woman
Hinterland
Bletchley Circle
The Monarch of the Glen

I might have a British accent by the end of summer : )  What are some of your favorites??
 Enjoy and happy watching!!





1 comment:

  1. When I was a kid we would sometimes be able to get Iowa Public Television in. This was the days before cable was common so we had a antenna in the attic. The signal would come in best at night. I was sometimes able to watch Dr. Who (Tom Baker) and an odd little British sitcom called "Only When I Laugh" about three man in a British medical ward. I haven't seen it in over 30 years, but I still remember the theme song.

    ReplyDelete