Friday, February 7, 2014

80's Dance Moves


For my goal of “fit at 40” I am trying to bump up my exercise.  I do workout regularly but to be honest they aren’t that great of workouts.  Today I tried something that I haven’t done in over a year, went to a cardio class.  Working out 75 minutes, verses my 20 minutes on a machine then getting bored.  The class was the right choice.    

I love the instructor of this particular class.  She is so calm and Zen like reminding us to leave our  inhibitions, comparisons, and judgments at the door.  I decided I was going to give this class my ALL and I did leave my inhibitions at the door, for sure!  No excuses for me, especially since I opted for the back row.  I worked hard and had a GREAT work out.   

My favorite part of the class is the last 5 minutes when she calls for free dancing.  The instructor does her moves and we can follow or do our own…. 

I had some moves of my own that I wanted to bust out, why not I was in the back row and no one could really see me (at least that’s what I told myself) and remember I left my inhibitions at the door.  I did a little bit of the running man, the cabbage patch, a hyped up version of the pony and a few other 80's treasures.   A few times I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and decided to just close my eyes as I did it.  Have you ever watched yourself dance in front of a mirror? I just didn’t look as good as I thought I did in my mind. 

After class I felt so good and just happy.    Happy because it was fun, happy that I burned calories while having fun and happy that I didn’t know anyone in the class who witnessed my dance moves! 

Here is a clip I found on YouTube of the running man in case you forgot or (yikes!) it was before your time.  Hmmm, maybe I should have reviewed it before class.  Hey there’s always next Friday’s class, I’ll look sweet for sure. 

3 comments:

  1. Lonni, you rock! I remember seeing your dance moves a time or two and I wished mine were as good. :) I love reading your posts, and look forward to many more! --your old roomie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I love it! I was hoping you were going to say you turned around and saw people watching you through the window. I want to be like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get the fun that comes from dancing as your workout - 31 years of Jazzercise, girl and that is why - working out is too much work if you aren't having fun. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete