Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A PLAN

I am reading this book called The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.  I don't usually read this type of book but my husband asked me to read it to help him with some research he is doing (I'm such  a good wife).    It has a lot of interesting research and examples regarding habits.  One of the things the book talks about is how successful people are at change.  Through the research they have found that change is more likely if you have a plan.  There is a study of people who got knee and hip replacements.  Those who had a written, detailed plan were the ones who recovered faster and met their goals faster. 

This got me thinking of my list of things I want to do.  I need a plan, especially the big ones.  "Fit at Forty" definitely needs a plan, that is where I am starting.

I've started with what does "Fit at Forty" look like.
  • Do 5 pull-ups -I just don't have much upper body strength so I am looking to get it and prove it to myself by doing those pull-ups. 
  • Improve core strength (well improve is  overstated, really develop core strength is more like it). 
  • Strengthen muscles around my back- quads, core, gluts etc.. hoping to reduce by old lady back pain.
  • Run a 10K this summer without back pain or run the 5K in less than 24min. (I did 24min last summer, booya!- pretty sure I could get in the top 3 now that I'll be in the 40 and over category- hey advantages of getting old, right).   
Now I know what it looks like, what to do- my ACTION word for the year.  I am NO expert in this field but I do know myself and know what has worked for me in the past and what is realistic.   I am thinking of consulting a trainer regarding a workout plan then checking in with them every few weeks and adjusting it as needed. 

I would LOVE to hear in the comment section what has worked for you in the fitness area, or if you have written a plan and seen it all the way through!   I am not looking for comments telling me I am fine or enough the way I am.  I know that, but I really want and need some improvement in this area and I love to hear motivating stories and to know what has worked for you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment